I have been getting some strange errors in a couple places in the access application. I mostly ignored the errors for the first few days, but eventually followed the recommendation to see if a reference to a file that was missing was causing the other problems.
The error message looked like this:
Following this error lead me into the VB editor under Tools | References, where I found the reference to the missing file (which had been refactored in the newer version of access 2007 which i was using).
Once I removed the reference to the missing utility.mda file, the errors cleared right up.
I am a little tired of typing in a password to access this DB.
I am using access 2007. Upon launching the application and clicking on Database Tools, I saw the Set Database Password option and clicked it. Access informed me that I had to have the DB opened in exclusive mode before I could remove the password.
I closed the DB and launched Access, without having opened the DB. I went to File open and looked for the option to open the DB exclusively. It took me a couple minutes to notice the little dropdown arrow in the bottom right corned of the form. Once I browsed to and highlighted my DB, the open exclusively was avail.
With the DB opened exclusively, I was able to remove or set a new password.
I meet with a new customer the other day who is using a 10 year old (at least) MS access DB. The current version is 2003. We meet for a couple hrs, with my client giving me the grand tour of the “science kits” area. Interesting stuff. She and 4 others work in support of a number of school districts, providing science kits for various units of study. There are a lot of the kits and a lot of variation of the contents of the kits.
The DB supports the inventory, distribution, location etc. of the kits.
My customer walked me through the application, showing me how it works, what it does, what it is supposed to do, but does not.
There is a lot of old data in the DB, teachers, school districts and kits that should be removed, but cannot because of referential integrity rules. For example, we cannot remove an old district building because there is an association with the id of that record in another table somewhere.
There are buttons that do not completely perform actions.
There are actions that are performed, but incorrectly.
There are forms that do not display data.
There are reports that are missing data.
There are calculations that are not correct.
There are calculations that are not complete.
There are forms that have buttons that do nothing, are not necessary.
The application also generates mailing labels that are used on the kits when they are shipped to districts.
There is a bit of date calculation that goes on. Especially with return dates, due dates, based on starting dates.
Instruction materials processing center!
More more more to follow….
Today, I finally deployed my first compiled .swf file to our production server. Over the past few weeks, I have been working on getting a local setup to mirror a production environment. This is not a trivial task when flex is involved. The short of the story is I finally got FlexBuilder 3, ColdFusion 10 and MSSQL Server 2005 working together. Today, I performed the following steps deploying a slightly upgraded .swf.
1 – Updated a couple text strings on buttons, a message on the opening form.
2 – Recompiled the flex project.
3 – Opened a window to the output path in my Coldfusion webroot (that’s where the compiled .swf and html files are written).
4 – Opened a connection to the production server – using windows explorer, authenticated to open the window.
5 – Launched the live application in a web browser
6 – Renamed the existing .swf file, appending the date to the end of the name, like: name_7_6_12.swf
7 – Refreshed the browser and saw the live application not load, as expected
8 – Copied the newly compiled .swf with the same name as the one I just renamed to the same location as the renamed .swf.
9 – Reloaded the browser and the application popped back to life with the newly deployed .swf in action.
The reason I rename the existing .swf on the live server was in case I had a problem with the remoting between flex and Coldfusion. I was not completely sure that would work as expected. This way, if I had a problem, I would remove the new .swf and remove the date from the renamed .swf and be back in business.
The last step involved will be checking in the two updated .mxml files into the SVN repository.